CASE STUDY: FLAMMABLE & CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE
One of our repeat clients in the Medical Device Industry asked us to design a structure that provided multiple rooms for varied operation and storage needs. This client planned to store some bulk flammable products, while providing rooms for corrosive storage and testing and storage of samples of finished products. In addition to the need for three separate rooms, they needed one of the rooms accessed from inside the structure instead of having doors mounted on the exterior walls.
This building was insulated at our factory so that the client could apply cooling/heating systems once the building was located on site. Insulation was applied to the walls, ceiling and floor to accommodate this requirement.
The building was delivered on time and was unloaded and set within 3 hours after arrival. US Chemical Storage provided full installation and commissioning services through a subcontractor and rigging company supervised by a site foreman. This installation/commissioning included rigging, setting, arming of the fire suppression system and full commissioning walk through after client connected electrical supply.
Installing this building allowed the client to move their hazardous material storage away from their facility, which saved approximately $310,000 in traditional construction and retrofitting costs. It also freed up valuable space inside their manufacturing facility while allowing this storage area to be located 15’ from their main dock doors.
The following design aspects were required and/or implemented:
- The building was completely built at our factory before delivery and installation on site.
- Florida’s State Modular Seal of Approval was pursued and applied
- Separate spill containment for each area
- Accommodations made so each compartment has exhaust systems that do not cross-contaminate
- Full flooding fire suppression to cover each room of the building
- Intrinsically safe explosion proof internal electrical components in each room
- Exhaust shut down components installed
- Galvanized steel shelving was provided with 2” lip to catch spills at that level