U.S. Chemical Storage Offers Lithium Ion Battery Storage Buildings
We use them as a main power source for everything from smartphones, laptops and tablets, to electric cars. Since its introduction in 1991, lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries remain popular among small and large corporations alike, due to their long lifespans and lightweight designs. However, if you don’t know how to store lithium batteries properly, they can be dangerous.
Tips for Lithium Ion Battery Storage
Temperature is vital for understanding how to store lithium batteries. The recommended storage temperature for most is 59° F (15° C). But that’s not the case across the board, so before storing lithium batteries, thoroughly read labels on proper storage. Lithium battery storage buildings with climate control are ideal for storing bulk-quantities of Li-ion batteries at specific temperatures to ensure a safe storage environment.
Also be aware of state of charge while storing. Always keep lead acid at a full charge during storage. Nickel and lithium ion batteries should be stored at around 40% state of charge.
If improper storage occurs, lithium ion batteries might become unstable. This may cause excessive heat to damage it internally and potentially catch on fire. Store cells with a charge between 30% and 50%. The cells can be stored fully discharged, although the cell voltage should not drop below 2.0 The maximum voltage should not exceed 4.1 volts.
Always follow charging instructions provided with each lithium ion battery.
How to Store Lithium Ion Batteries: Maintenance and Handling Precautions
- Monitor battery charge status while charging
- Ensure temperature controls are set to specified temperatures
- Observe run time with a full-charged battery
- Ensure batteries self-discharge
- Check batteries before placing in storage for irregularities in charge status
- Avoid exposing lithium ion batteries to excessive vibration
- Do not keep batteries in high or low temperatures
- Always handle batteries with caution
- Place batteries in storage after the building reaches compliant temperature levels
- Do not use damaged batteries
- In case of contact with fluid do not rub eyes. Immediately flush eyes
- Wash hands after handling batteries
- In the event of contact on clothing, change clothing immediately
How to Store Lithium Ion Batteries with a U.S. Chemical Storage Building
Lithium ion batteries present challenges and hazards to manufacturers and industries who store these powerful energy tools. U.S. Chemical Storage provides safe, reliable, prefabricated storage buildings designed to safely store lithium batteries.
Non-fire rated designs offer lithium batteries to be stored outside of facilities, while fire-rated lithium storage buildings can be located near or even inside facilities to provide efficient manufacturing operations.
Lithium battery storage buildings are 100% customizable and can be equipped with charging stations. Use multi-room storage buildings to safely separate charging stations from battery storage.
Other recommended options for lithium battery storage buildings include fire suppression systems, climate control, mechanical ventilation, fiberglass grated flooring and a variety of doors for exit and entry.