Chemical Storage Building Compliance – What You Need to KnowWhen considering a hazmat storage building, it’s important to understand most codes and regulations are set to minimum standards. Here are some other factors to keep in mind:
- Hazmat storage buildings must be strong – steel or concrete is best.
- Buildings need ventilation to remove fumes from any spilled chemical, with up to five air changes per hour.
- The floor should utilize a minimum catch under sill across door openings and slope to a low point, whereby it may be drained outside via a closed and secured valve.
- Use intrinsically safe equipment. This means any electrical appliance and wiring systems shouldn’t be a source of ignition or create a situation where vapors could ignite by hot surfaces.
- The location of a hazmat storage building determines if it requires fire-rated construction or not.
- Fire suppression is needed when the building is close to other structures.
- Consider alarm and detection systems for fires, spills, ventilator malfunction, and intrusion security. These can be installed, connected to, and monitored by a central station on site with direct communication to the closest local fire station.
- Let your chemical engineers decide whether you need explosion relief options or not, based on their own experience with the chemicals you regularly use. If so, install explosion relief panels on a wall with a 50-ft open space behind it.
Do I Need a Compliant Chemical Storage Building?
U.S. Chemical Storage Provides Regulation Compliant Chemical Storage BuildingsIt’s difficult to keep up with all the codes and regulations when it comes to chemical storage. Your compliance officer should know the basics, but since codes vary between federal, state and local authorities, it’s important to know what the requirements are, before you begin storing chemicals. This is where U.S. Chemical Storage can help. As a leading designer and manufacturer of steel chemical storage buildings, we’ll work with you to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements to provide a solution customized to your unique storage needs. In most cases, prefabricated construction offers substantial cost savings over permanent site-built construction. All our buildings are 100% customizable and relocatable, providing you permanent storage in a movable package. Contact us today for a free quote. Already have an idea of the type of building you need? Get started with our easy-to-use chemical storage building configurator.
Article written by Fred W. Romig, Consultant for Chemical Storage Building Compliance
Fred Romig serves as a hazmat consultant with U.S. Chemical Storage. His experience in the industry spans several decades, though, as he made a name for himself by developing hazmat storage buildings with unique features that customers wanted, but no other company provided. By defining best practices in the design, manufacturing and on-site installation of chemical storage buildings, as well as introducing a consultative sales approach that provided customers with peace of mind through the entire process, Fred was an instrumental cog to the company’s success.
Want to learn more? Check out Fred’s free on-demand webinar “Hazardous Materials: Is Your Chemical Storage Solution Compliant?” on Safeopedia.