What is Intrinsic Safety?
Safeopedia Definition: an explosion prevention technique used to ensure the safe operation of electrical equipment in a hazardous area.In hazardous areas, one way of mitigating the hazards is by using intrinsically safe designs where regulators define hazardous areas in classifications, divisions, and zones. The division depends on the probability that they will contain flammable materials. This applies both in normal operations and abnormal events. Each category has its own requirements when it comes to what level of protection it needs. However, the basic principle of intrinsic safety is to lower the electrical and thermal energy of devices to the point where it is impossible for them to generate a spark. The process uses Zener diodes to limit voltage, resistors to limit current, and fuses to shut off the electrical supply. There is a difference between intrinsically safe and explosion-proof. Explosion-proof equipment does not limit the power output. Instead, it contains an explosion internally. Heavy-duty enclosures prevent the spread of ignition to flammable materials nearby.
Intrinsically Safe Chemical Storage BuildingsU.S. Chemical Storage manufactures intrinsically safe chemical storage buildings that comply with applicable standards. These buildings feature intrinsically safe, explosion-proof electrical components and accessories. Intrinsically safe equipment is UL listed, providing assurance that it meets the relevant codes.
Intrinsic Safety Best Practices PracticesIntrinsic safety protects against the risk of fire. But, when flammable materials are present, unsafe behaviors may nullify the intrinsically safe equipment, putting people and assets at risk. Follow these safe practices:
- Only plug intrinsically safe equipment and cables into an intrinsically safe outlet. The low power rating of the outlet will not prevent a spark in the equipment if it is not also designed as intrinsically safe.
- Modifications to equipment may compromise its integrity. Drilling through explosion-proof housing to mount it will create a path for sparks to leave the housing and cause an explosion.
- Don’t use a cell phone or any electrical device that could generate a spark in a hazardous area. This is the biggest one because people often forget they are carrying small electronic devices into the building. Make sure cell phones are addressed in your safety protocols.
Contact U.S. Chemical Storage for Intrinsically Safe Storage SolutionsU.S. Chemical Storage has experts familiar with all aspects of hazardous and flammable storage, as well as intrinsic safety. We offer on-site training and site evaluations, to help identify hazards and take appropriate safety measures. Our experts can advise on all details of your chemical storage needs to design a solution that is compliant and safe. Contact us today for a free quote.
- Grainger. Hazardous Locations: Classes, Divisions and Groups
- Safeopedia. Intrinsic Safety Is
- International Fire Protection. Ensuring Intrinsic Fire Safety in Explosive Environments