Nearly every industrial workplace uses flammable liquids. The hazards associated with hazardous material liquids can be substantial. To prevent fires, hazardous materials and flammables require special storage, handling and transferring. All workplaces need emergency plans prior to the storage of flammables or other hazardous materials.
Consider these factors when choosing a hazmat storage container from US Chemical Storage.
Fire Separation Distances – Hazardous Storage Container
The type of hazmat storage container selected will determine the appropriate proximity to occupied facilities and property lines. The International Building Code specifies minimum distances, illustrated below.
- Fire-RatingDistance from Occupied Facilities or Property Lines
- Four hour fire-rated: Less than 10 feet or within an existing structure
- Two hour fire-rated:10 to 30 feet
- Non-Combustible (no fire rating):Greater than 30 feet
Amount of Inventory
Knowing how much inventory must be stored in your hazmat storage container is important. It provides specifics to understand the measurements for a concrete foundation and distances from property lines and/or occupied structures.
Other factors to consider:
- Do your chemical storage demands consist of storing small containers including buckets, bags, or small bottles?
- Are you storing totes? If so what size?
- Are you storing chemical drums? Are they stored on pallets or individually?
- What is the maximum amount of inventory you plan to store?
Material handling requirements
When storing or removing chemical storage from a hazmat storage container what type of equipment is being used?
- Drum dolly
- Hand truck
- Extended forklift
- Physical labor
Some regions of the country are very hot. A cooling system may be required for a chemical storage building to be in full compliance. Colder regions may require a heating system.
Hazmat Storage Accessories
U.S. Chemical Storage provides a range of accessories for our chemical storage buildings to meet safety and compliance requirements when storing hazardous materials. Along with creating an efficient chemical storage atmosphere, accessories may help increase safety for workers.
Contact U.S. Chemical Storage for Hazmat Storage Containers
No matter what the application or the chemicals, we are the experts in providing safe, dependable hazardous material storage buildings. Contact us to learn more about compliant hazmat storage containers or for a complimentary quote.