What type of storage is used for blasting agents?

The term “blasting agents” refers to products used for the mining industry or the Department of Transportation’s blasting for highways. This type should utilize Type 2 indoor or Type 2 outdoor models and Type 3 day boxes during transport. What type of storage is used for blasting agents?

Are DynaLoc™ explosive storage magazines suitable for military use?

Yes. Our DynaLoc™ explosive storage magazine options meet or exceed federal government mandates described in ATF CFR 555—including ATF 27 CFR, Part 555.208, and DoD 5100. U.S. Chemical Storage specializes in working with government entities for unique solutions because we understand the value of mission preparedness.

Which day box is right for me?

We offer both steel and aluminum day boxes to transport explosives. If you need to repeatedly unload and load your day box and weight is a concern, an aluminum model helps reduce weight while still meeting ATF requirements. Additionally, our IME DOT dayboxes meet stringent SLP 22 requirements for “Recommendation for the Safe Transportation of Detonators in a Vehicle with Certain Other Explosive Materials.”

Why do I need an explosive storage magazine?

The ATF dictates the need for an explosive magazine. To maintain safe and reasonable practices there are rigid standards for owning explosives. Explosive storage magazines should meet standards and certifications for the proper storage of these materials. Our DynaLoc™ magazines meet and exceed these standards set forth by the U.S. government, including ATF 27 CFR, Part 555.208, and DoD 5100.

What is the difference between a Type 2, Type 3, and Type 4 explosive storage magazine?

Each class requires a unique storage solution to ensure optimal safety and management. Type 2 is for storage of high explosives, Type 4 is for storage of low explosives, and Type 3 are day boxes that are used to transport both high and low explosives. Our Type 2 and Type 4 explosive storage magazines are available in both indoor and outdoor styles, and every storage type we offer features theft-resistant, weather-resistant, and fire-resistant construction.

What are the classes of explosives?

For storage purposes, federal requirements classify explosive materials according to their velocity. There are three classes of explosive materials, per ATF 27 CFR 555.202:

  • High Explosives – explosives which detonate by means of a blasting cap (dynamite, emulsions, flash powders, etc.)
  • Low explosives – explosives which deflagrate when confined (black powder, safety fuses, ignitor cords, “display fireworks,” etc.)
  • Blasting agents – explosives consisting of fuel and oxidizer, intended for blasting and unable to detonated by a No. 8 test blasting cap when unconfined (ammonium nitrate-fuel oil and certain water-gels)

For more information, visit https://www.atf.gov/explosives/explosive-storage-requirements.

If storage magazines are mostly made of high-density wood, will that really contain a blast?

No. A common misconception is explosive storage magazines will contain a blast inside the unit—this is not the case. Explosive storage magazines work as a safeguard against theft and accidental detonation by improper storage and the environment.

Can DynaLoc magazines be customized?

Yes. Like all our safe storage buildings, U.S. Chemical Storage can provide custom explosive storage magazines to fit your needs. For assistance creating a custom solution for your storage needs, contact one of our experts.

What are day boxes?

Day boxes are used for the transfer and temporary, supervised storage of your explosives. These magazines are light enough for daily transport from your overnight storage area to the job site. Our DynaLoc™ day boxes are constructed to be fire-resistant, weather-resistant, and theft-resistant.

Does my explosive storage need to be grounded?

Yes. High and low explosives that are placed in outdoor magazines should have a grounding system according to the NFPA 70 standard. Grounding protects your magazine and its contents against lightning strike, and it will need to be properly grounded by a licensed electrician. For more information, please refer to NFPA .