FLAMMABLES STORAGE SAFETY
Proper flammables storage can bring enhanced safety to your workplace, as well as increased productivity and compliance. At U.S. Chemical Storage, it is our goal to help you achieve all of the above, granting you total safety while helping you save money in the long run. Our flammables storage solutions are designed to facilitate the flammables storage process, helping you operate safely and efficiently.
Flammables storage is not a subject to be taken lightly. Improper flammables storage can result in potentially life-threatening disasters or costly destruction of property. It is important to take every possible measure for safe flammables storage, and U.S. Chemical Storage is here to help.
According to OSHA, flammable liquids are liquids having a flash point below 100°F, while combustible liquids have a flash point at or above 100°F. Below, we include tips on mitigating hazards of both chemical classifications.
Your flammables storage containers should be designed to prevent outside fires from interacting with the chemicals within. Steps must also be taken to prevent internal fires from occurring. If your materials produce flammable fumes or vapors, mechanical ventilation can prevent dangerous accumulations of fumes and vapors within your flammables storage building.
There are a number of other steps to take that can mitigate fire hazards. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a clean, orderly flammables storage facility,
- Allow for a three-foot-wide aisle, at least, for ease of movement,
- Separate flammables storage from water-reactive chemicals (this can pose a danger, should a fire need to be extinguished with water),
- Provide stability for your flammables storage, preventing spills or leaks,
- Equip your flammables storage facility with fire suppression accessories such as sprinklers and fire extinguishers,
- Use only approved electrical equipment and wiring,
- Ensure all labels are clearly visible to prevent misuse of flammables,
- Do not block exits,
- Segregate flammables storage from other materials to minimize damages in the event of a fire,
- Follow all information on material safety data sheets (MSDS) and safety data sheets (SDS), and
- Heed all government regulations to achieve compliance.
U.S. CHEMICAL STORAGE: FLAMMABLES STORAGE SOLUTIONS
We have countless options for flammables storage. Our Fire Rated buildings can be customized, built according to your specifications so you can rest assured that you’re getting the safest buildings in the industry. U.S. Chemical Storage is dedicated to helping you achieve compliance while protecting your inventory, personnel, and community.
Keep in mind, this material is intended only for guidance in flammables storage. It is not intended as legal advice. Consult federal, state, and local regulations for total compliance.